Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest of beef. The brisket is a tough cut of meat, so it is often slow-cooked or braised. When cooking a brisket, it is essential to cook it until it is fork-tender. Brisket can be cooked in several ways, such as in a slow cooker, oven, or grill. The brisket must be appropriately sliced; otherwise, your dish will be ruined. Slicing brisket correctly is a must to know. The brisket consists of two different muscles which overlap each other. These muscles make slicing tricky.
Different Methods To Slice Brisket
How to Slice Brisket with Knife?
Slice brisket by cutting across the grain of the meat. Use a sharp with serrated edges knife and slice it thinly against the grain. Otherwise, the meat will be chewier. Cut against the grain at 90 degrees. This will make the bite more tender and flavorful.
For slicing, start from the thicker end of the meat. Then begin slicing down until you have cut the whole piece of brisket.
- Step 1: Place the meat on a large cutting board to put the entire piece of brisket. If you have to use some part of the brisket, separate it with a knife and save the other part in the freezer without slicing it.
- Step 2: Make sure that your knife is sharpened enough to cut through meat easily. Brisket usually has more fat; trim the excess fat from brisket.
- Step 3: Now, remove the tip of the brisket. It is the smallest part of the brisket and is often slightly overcooked. Slice brisket gently with back and forth motion while applying gentle pressure.
- Step4: Make sure to cut the meat against the grain. Slice the whole meat and bring it out on a plate.
How to Slice Brisket with Mandoline?
Brisket can be sliced on a mandoline slicer very thinly. A mandoline slicer is a great tool for slicing vegetables, meat, and cheese. It will be better to freeze the meat slightly before slicing on a mandoline to get thin and perfect slices. Briskets can be cut on mandoline for BBQs are for stir-fry. Follow these steps to slice brisket on a mandoline slicer.
- Step 1: Wash the brisket and remove fat from it.
- Step 2: Cut the brisket into small chunks to slice them easily on a mandoline. Make the chunks on a cutting board using a sharp knife. Cut the brisket carefully against the grains.
- Step 3: You can adjust v-shaped blades or thick blades for slicing the brisket on a mandoline.
- Step 4: Adjust the brisket chunk into the food pusher and start slicing.
- Step 5: Do not apply much pressure; it can damage the muscles. Slightly push the food holder in a back and forth motion on the blades.
- Step 6: Place a bowl under the mandoline to collect brisket slices. Slice all the chunks of brisket on mandoline one after another. When slicing is finished, wash the blades and slicer immediately.
How to Slice Brisket in Meat Slicer?
Meat slices are designed two slice meat thinly. It is best when you have to slice large quantities. Meat slicers are primarily used in restaurants, food points, and hotels. You can quickly slice brisket for preparing BBQs or adding in different dishes. Brisket can be sliced on a meat slicer with the below method.
- Step 1: Plug in and turn on the meat slicer.
- Step 2: Safely place the brisket in the food carriage. Make sure that meat is firmly held on the carriage surface.
- Step 3: Now, adjust the thickness of brisket slices. Rotate the thickness knob in an anti-clockwise direction and set it on your desired point.
- Step 4: Start slicing brisket now. Push the tray slowly forward. The blades of the electric meat slicer will swiftly go through the brisket and drop the slice to the left of the slicer.
- Step 5: When the whole brisket is sliced into thin pieces, turn off the slicer. Set the thickness knob to zero. Remove the remaining meat parts from the slicer and wash the blades as soon as possible.
How to Cook Brisket?
Brisket is a tough cut of meat, and it is cooked in different ways. Brisket can be smoked or barbecued, but cooking it on the smoker results in an extra-tender piece of beef that melts in your mouth. It will be best not to slice brisket before cooking. Instead, cut into small pieces, place in a large pot with some oil, and cook on low heat for several hours.
To cook brisket, first, trim off any excess fat. Then, rub the meat with a spice rub or marinade. If you want to braise the brisket, preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Sear the brisket in a hot skillet, and then transfer it to a roasting pan. Add some liquid to the pan, cover it, and cook for 3 to 4 hours, or until the brisket is very tender.
How to Store Sliced Brisket?
To ensure your brisket stays as fresh and flavorful as possible, store it in the fridge or freezer. After removing meat from the block of meat, wrap it tightly in a clean kitchen towel and store it in an airtight container or bag. Set the temperature of the freezer higher (35 to 40F). Frozen brisket is always larger, but it will shrink after cooking. Buy always brisket larger than your need.
Brisket is the tough cut of meat with overlapping muscles. It should be sliced very carefully against the grains. You can use a sharp knife with serrated edges, a mandoline slicer, or even a meat slicer to slice brisket accurately. It can be cooked, grilled, or BBQ to eat. Freeze the extra piece of brisket in the freezer at high temperature.