Potato is a delicious vegetable and almost part of every dish. You can cook potatoes in so many ways and methods. Potato is widely used for making finger chips, a favourite of all age groups.
Slicing and cutting the potatoes is not an easy task. Slicing potatoes with a knife takes a lot of time. You may get tired when slicing a large number of potatoes for finger chips. It requires effort and time. A potato slicer can slice a huge quantity of potatoes in a few minutes. It is designed for heavy-duty work. Potato slicers are manual and electric ones.
- 1 Helpful Information and Guide About Potato Slicer
- 2 How Do You Keep Sliced Potatoes From Turning Brown?
- 3 How To Freeze Sliced Potatoes?
- 4 Can You Use A Food Processor For Slicing Potatoes?
- 5 Tips For Using A Potato Slicer
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) & Facts About Potato Slicer
- 6.1 How do I clean the blades of the potato slicer?
- 6.2 Are potato slicers easy to use?
- 6.3 How do you use a potato slicer?
- 6.4 Is it necessary to peel the slicer before slicing?
- 6.5 Can you freeze peeled potatoes?
- 6.6 Can you sharpen the blades of the potato slicer?
- 6.7 How do you thinly slice potatoes?
- 6.8 Can you put potatoes in a food processor?
- 7 Conclusion
Helpful Information and Guide About Potato Slicer
What Is A Potato Slicer?
A potato slicer is a kitchen utensil to slice and cut potatoes in even parts. It can slice, dice, mince and chop potatoes and different types of vegetables.The potato slicer has interchangeable blades to slice in different variable cuts and shapes. They can cut potatoes in round shape, horizontally and in crinkle cut. Potato slicers are a convenient way to prepare potatoes for frying, baking, or roasting.
Potato slicers are for domestic and commercial use. It is widely used in hotels, restaurants, resorts and food corners. The most frequent use of the potato slicer is for chips and adding in multiple dishes.
How To Select A Potato Slicer?
Before buying a potato slicer, look for the below things to select the best one among all.
- Type Of Slicing: The first and most important thing is to consider what is your need for slicing? Do you want a potato slicer for fries or something else? Select the slicer which is more suitable for your work.
- Sharpness: Look for the potato slicer with sharp blades. The sharp blades can cut through potatoes with ease and work faster.
- Price: Potato slicers are available in the market from cheap to high prices. The slicer with a low price may damage earlier and not lost long. Choose the slicer with all safety features and a reasonable price.
- Safety: Potato slicer should be safe for slicing because the blades can cut your fingers. Look for the slicer with a food pusher, food guard, or protected blades.
- Shapes of blades: Three different shapes of blades come with a potato slicer. The interchangeable blades have different functions.
- Ease of use: Look for a straightforward design rather than the hard and complex design. It must be easy to use.
- Maintenance: Consider that the slicer can be clean and maintained easily. Maintenance is the important thing to look for before buying.
- Versatility: Potato slicers are versatile; they can be used for slicing hard and soft vegetables also. Consider that should you need a versatile slicer or only for slicing potatoes.
- Ease of cleaning: Choose the slicer, which is dishwasher friendly. It will save your time and effort from the extra work of cleaning the potato slicer.
How To Slice Potatoes With a Slicer?
When slicing potatoes with a potato slicer, it is important first to wash and dry the potato. Cut off and remove any bad spots or eyes on the potato. Cut the potato in half so that it will fit into the slicer. Slice the potatoes on a slicer applying the given method.
- Step 1:Place the potato slicer on a cutting board or another stable surface.
- Step 2:Insert the potato half into the slicer and hold it in place with one hand. Use the other hand to grip the handle firmly.
- Step 3:Start slicing potatoes by applying gentle pressure. Push the potato in a back and forth motion on the blades. Make sure that slices are thin and in your desired thickness. Otherwise, adjust the thickness.
- Step 4:Continue the slicing until the whole potato is sliced. When slicing has been finished, remove the slices from the slicer carefully.
Blades Of Potato Slicer
Thinner slices require a sharper blade, while thicker slices can be made with a duller blade.
- Straight blade: A straight blade cuts potatoes into simple slices. With straight blades, you can cut sweet potatoes and tomatoes.
- Diagonal blade: Diagonal blades do not need much force to slice potatoes. These blades are commonly used for slicing soft vegetables and fruits.
- V-shaped blade: V-shaped blades are used to slice large potatoes and vegetables. These blades can cut almost everything.
Electric Vs Manual Slicer
When it comes to slicing potatoes, there are two main types of slicers: electric and manual. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
There are a few key differences between electric and manual potato slicers. Electric slicers are much faster and safer than manual slicers. This is because they have a motor that does the slicing for you. Manual slicers require doing the slicing yourself, it requires effort, so they are much slower. Electric slicers are usually more expensive than manual slicers. This is due to their complex features and additional parts.
How To Clean Potato Slicer?
Potato slicers are one of the most versatile equipment in any kitchen. They are used daily to quickly and easily slice potatoes, carrots, onions, and other vegetables. But like any other kitchen tool, they need to be cleaned regularly to prevent the build-up of food particles and bacteria. Follow the below steps to clean the potato slicer:
- Step 1: Unplug the slicer if it is electric and disassemble it. Remove the cutting blade and any other removable parts.
- Step 2: Wash all the parts of the potato slicer in warm, soapy water. Use a brush or sponge to scrub away any stuck-on food.
- Step 3: Rinse the parts with clean water and dry them thoroughly.
- Step 4: Reassemble the slicer and plug it in. Run it for a few seconds to make sure everything is working properly.
- Step 5: Wipe down the outside of the slicer with a damp cloth.
With the simple steps above, you can keep your potato slicer clean and in good working condition.
Uses And Advantages Of Potato Slicer
Potatoes are mostly used as side dishes. There are many different uses of a potato slicer. For assistance, a potato slicer can be used for slicing homemade potato chips. Preparing chips at home is a simple and healthier alternative to store-bought or packed chips. They are fresh and much time delicious which you buy from the market.
A potato slicer can also make uniform slices of vegetables such as carrots, zucchini and onions. A potato slicer is helpful when making dishes like stir-fry or ratatouille, where all the vegetables must be the same size. It can slice vegetables, fruits and even meat.
How Do You Keep Sliced Potatoes From Turning Brown?
Sliced potatoes can turn brown for several reasons. If the potatoes are not fresh, they can turn brown as they oxidize. If the potatoes are cut too thin, they may also turn brown. To prevent sliced potatoes from turning brown, it is essential to use fresh potatoes and cut them into thick slices. If you are slicing the potatoes for more time, you can also soak them in water for a few minutes before cooking.
One method is to soak the potatoes in a solution of water and vinegar for about 30 minutes before slicing them. Another way is to brush the potatoes with olive oil before cutting them. Once the potatoes are sliced, you can also put them in a bowl of cold water until you’re ready to cook them.
How To Freeze Sliced Potatoes?
Sliced potatoes can be frozen in a few different ways; the best method will depend on how you plan to use them once they’re frozen. If you plan to use the potatoes for things like hash browns or roasted potatoes, you’ll want to freeze them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
First, slice the potatoes into the desired thickness and spread them on the baking sheet. Then, place the baking sheet in the freezer and let the potatoes freeze for a few hours. Once they are fully frozen, you can transfer them to a freezer bag or container.
If you’re planning to use the potatoes for things like mashed potatoes or soup, you can freeze them in a bag or container without pre-freezing them. Just slice the potatoes and add them to the bag or container, seal them, and put them in the freezer. When ready to use, thaw them in the fridge or cook them directly from frozen.
Can You Use A Food Processor For Slicing Potatoes?
A food processor can also slice potatoes. It can slice dice and mince potatoes and different vegetables. It should be convenient to use the food processor rather than slicing with a knife. But it is not ideal for slicing; a mandolin slicer will slice potatoes much better than a food processor. For slicing potatoes in a food processor, use the slicing blade, not the shredding blade. And take care not to over-process the potatoes, or they will turn mush.
Tips For Using A Potato Slicer
- Use a safety guard during slicing potatoes on a slicer to save your hands.
- When sliding down the mandolin, do not put much pressure.
- Make sure that the potato is peeled and washed thoroughly.
- This will help the slicer to work more effectively and produce consistent results.
- Choose the slicing blade best suited for the thickness of slices you desire.
- Always clean the potato slicer after each use to prevent the build-up of the potato leftover.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) & Facts About Potato Slicer
How do I clean the blades of the potato slicer?
It will be best to disassemble all parts to clean thoroughly. Remove the food particles from the blades, then wash by hand or place them in the dishwasher to clean the blades.
Are potato slicers easy to use?
Yes, potato slicers are pretty easy to use. You can use it without any training, skill or gaudiness.
How do you use a potato slicer?
A potato slicer can be used with ease. Wash, peel and cut the potatoes in half. Adjust the blades and all parts of the slicer. Place the potato on the slicer and slice it.
Is it necessary to peel the slicer before slicing?
It is good to wash and peel the potatoes before slicing, but it is unnecessary. It is up to you whether to peel potatoes or not.
Can you freeze peeled potatoes?
Yes, peeled potatoes can be frozen for use later. Only freeze the potatoes which are cooked fully or partially cooked. Raw potatoes have a large quantity of water. That will spoil the frozen potatoes.
Can you sharpen the blades of the potato slicer?
Yes, the blades of potato slicers can be sharpened. Instead of sharpening it yourself, refer them to any professional or replace them.
How do you thinly slice potatoes?
Potatoes can be sliced thinly in a potato slicer. Adjust the thickness size before slicing. I you do not have a slicer, you can cut potatoes with a kitchen knife.
Can you put potatoes in a food processor?
Yes, a food processor can be used to slice potatoes. All kinds of potatoes, whether ripe or firm, can be put in the food processor.
A potato slicer will help you to save time and space. You can use it for a home for families or at restaurants for business. A potato slicer will be your competent assistance everywhere. The potato slicer is very convenient to use and clean. You will enjoy using the potato slicer.