Meat slicers are used for cutting/slicing the meat, vegetables, cheese for sandwiches, salads, and different dishes. Sometimes during slicing, meat sticks to the blades and surface of the slicer. It can waste your time and affect the look and quality of slices. You can keep meat from sticking by sharpening the blades, lubricating the slicer, and placing it on a smooth surface.
Reasons Why Meat Sticks to the Slicer
There can be several reasons for sticking meat to the slicer. Some of the possible reasons are the following.
- You are applying much pressure on the slicer.
- Blades are dull and not scarped.
- Meat is fully frozen.
- Meat is fresh.
- The slicer is not cleaned thoroughly.
- You haven’t lubricated the slicer completely.
- The surface is not smooth and unbalanced.
Best Way to Prevent Meat from Sticking to a Meat Slicer
Slicing meat without sticking to a slicer can easily be accomplished with proper planning and patience. You should follow the below tips and tricks to get smooth, equal, and incredible slices.
- Firstly, choose a counter which is smooth and level. Because if the countertop is not leveled, it will be harder to make
smooth slices through the meat slicer and meat will stick to the slicer sides.
- Secondly, check that slicer is washed and that there are no remaining food particles.
- Thirdly, make sure blades are sharpened according to size.
- Meat and the blades should be at the same height.
- Place the meat in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Brush the blades and surface tray with vegetable oil.
- Wet blades to keep from sticking.
- Clean the slicer regularly and thoroughly.
- Lubricate the slicer often to get the best results.
- Sharpen the slicer blades 1-2 times a year.
Precautions Needed While Slicing meat
- Always wear cut resistance or vinyl gloves to protect your hands and fingers.
- You must be trained to operate a meat slicer.
- Keep your hands and body away from sharp blades.
- Make sure the meat and the slicing blades are at the same height.
Meat Slicer Safety Video
How to keep meat from sticking to the blade?
When slicing meat, does not apply much pressure on the slicer.
How to keep meat from sticking to the meat slicer?
If you are going to cut raw pieces, place them in the freezer for a few minutes.
How to wet the slicer?
Wet your slicer’s blades with a rag or spray bottle. The meat will not stick to the slicer easily.
Keeping meat away from sticking to the slicer is not a difficult task. You can make smoother cuts when putting the slicer on a flat surface. The blades need to be on the same height as the meat to slice perfectly. Vegetable oil can also help to prevent from sticking.