Being familiar with different cuts of meat is a very useful skill. As it is important when you buy meat from a butcher’s shop or when getting a deal from the grocery store. Meat has different slices, cuts, and types. Different pieces of meat require a specific temperature to cook. You can cook, roast, grill, stir-fry, bake or fry in a skillet. Each has its taste, tenderness, uses, and benefits.
Types of Meat
Meat can be divided into the following categories.
- Red meat (Beef, goat, lamb)
- Poultry (Chicken and turkey)
- Seafood (Fish)
Different Types of Slices and Cuts of Beef
The beef meat can be divided into several parts, and cuts come with multiple names. It is a little bit confusing to understand them but useful for the kitchen. Eight main cuts of beef are known as primal cuts.
- Chunk: The meat of the shoulder muscle of a cow is called a chunk. This meat is used for roast, steak, and slow cooking.
- Rib: 13 ribs are total in a cow. It is full of flavorful fat.
- Loin: It is cut from the back of the cow.
- Round: It’s from the back of the cow above the back legs, tough but chewy.
- Flank: Cut from the abdominal muscle of the cow.
- Short plate: Chewy and tough cut from the belly of the cow.
- Brisket: It’s a tough cut from the breast of a cow.
- Shank: Cut from legs, not fatty.
Every Cut of Meat, Explained in Video
Different Types of Slices and Cuts of Chicken
You can either use a chicken as a whole bird or be divided it into four cuts.
- Breast: A lean and most expensive cut of chicken.
- Thighs: A thigh is produced by cutting a whole leg.
- Drumsticks: The lower meaty cut exists from the knee joint down to almost the foot.
- Wings: Cheaper cut of chicken.
Different Types of Slices and Cuts of Fish
Like other animals, fish also has different cuts. Here are seven common types of fish cuts.
- Fillet: A fillet is a boneless cut of fish.
- Paupiette: It is a small fish rolled into a cylinder shape.
- Supreme: A supreme cut involves the removal of all bones; it is the best cut of fish.
- Darne: A thick cross-sectioned cut from round fish.
- Butterfly: One side of the fish is sliced from behind the head and tapered towards the tail in a butterfly cut.
- Goujon: These are 8 cm long strips used for garnishing.
- Toroncon: Also called steak cut from a flatfish.
What are the eight different cuts of meat?
Chuck, brisket, rib, plate, lion (part of the body on both sides of the spine), flank, round, and shank.
What are the types of meat?
Red meat, poultry, and fish.
Is camel healthy to eat?
Camel meat is healthier than other meats.
What part of the cow is sirloin?
Sirloin steak comes from the top of the cow’s back.
What are the nine pieces of chicken?
Nine-piece cuts of chicken are; 2wings, 2drumsticks, 2thighs, and three breast pieces.
All meat has different cuts that come from different parts of animals. Their taste, tenderness, the quantity of fat, cooking time, and uses are separate from each other.