The amount of calories in a slice of papaya depends on the size of the slice. Generally, one medium-sized slice (approximately 4 ounces) contains approximately 40 calories. That includes 0 grams of fat and 9 grams of carbohydrates, contributing to a low-calorie content. A single slice also contains about 1 gram of protein, 2 milligrams of sodium, and 3 grams of dietary fiber. It’s high in vitamin C, magnesium, and folate. Papaya is a very nutritious fruit to add to your diet as part of a healthy eating plan.
Why Count Calories Anyway?
- Weight Management: Counting calories is a critical aspect of weight management. You gain weight if you consume more calories than your body burns. Conversely, you lose weight if you burn more calories than you consume
- Nutritional Balance: Counting calories also helps maintain a balanced diet. It can help ensure you’re getting enough nutrients without overeating.
Breaking Down The Nutritional Profile Of A Papaya Slice
- Calories: 60
- Protein: 0.5 grams
- Fat: 0.2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 15 grams
- Fiber: 2.5 grams
- Vitamin C: 144% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Vitamin A: 31% of the DV
- Potassium: 10% of the DV
Health Benefits Of Papaya
- Rich in antioxidants: Papaya is packed with beneficial antioxidants that help protect the body from oxidative stress and may reduce your risk of chronic diseases.
- High in vitamins and minerals: A single slice of papaya contains various vitamins, including Vitamin C and folate, as well as mineral nutrients such as magnesium, potassium, and calcium.
- Supports healthy digestion: Papaya contains an enzyme called papain, which helps break down proteins and can aid in digestion.
- Boosts immunity: Vitamin C is essential for maintaining a healthy immune system, and a single slice of papaya contains about 40 milligrams of the vitamin, making it an excellent source.
- May reduce inflammation: Papaya contains anti-inflammatory compounds that can help reduce inflammation in the body, which can help with conditions such as arthritis and asthma.
- Aids in weight loss: Eating papaya can be a great way to fill up fewer calories while still receiving the vitamins and minerals needed for a healthy body. Additionally, its high fiber content helps with digestion and can help keep you feeling full longer.
- Improves skin health: The antioxidants in papaya can help protect your skin from damage caused by free radicals, which may reduce signs of aging such as wrinkles and age spots. Its vitamin C content can also help keep your skin looking bright and healthy.
- May reduce blood sugar levels: Eating papaya may help to lower blood sugar levels in people with diabetes due to the fruit’s low glycemic index. However, it is important to always consult with a doctor before making any dietary changes or adding supplements.
How To Store Papaya Slices?
Step 1:Wrap the papaya slices on parchment paper.
Step 2: Place the wrapped papaya slices on a plate and cover with plastic wrap.
Step 3: Place the plate of papaya slices in an airtight container or zip-top bag.
Step 4: Store in refrigerator for up to one week.
Step 5: If you plan to keep the papaya slices longer, place them in an airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to three months.
In Which Dishes Can We Add Papaya?
Papaya can be used in a variety of dishes, both sweet and savory. The fruit is often enjoyed raw but can also be cooked or blended into smoothies, sauces, dressings, and more. It pairs well with other tropical flavors like coconut, mango, and pineapple. Additionally, papaya is often added to salads, salsas, and dips or used as a topping for other dishes such as tacos.
The fruit can also be grilled or baked to bring out its natural sweetness. When ripe, the flesh of papaya is soft and can be easily mashed into sauces or used to make desserts like sorbet and ice cream. You can even use papaya in savory dishes like curries and stews, adding a hint of sweetness to balance the other flavors. No matter how you enjoy it, papaya is a delicious and nutritious addition to any meal.
How many calories are there in the whole papaya?
Whole papaya (about 500 grams) contains around 215 calories.
Is papaya good for weight loss?
Yes, it is. Its low caloric and high fiber content make papaya an excellent weight-loss choice.
What’s the best time to eat papaya?
Papaya can be enjoyed any time of day. Some people prefer it as part of their breakfast for a refreshing start.
Can papaya boost energy?
Yes, papaya can boost energy. Papaya contains high levels of essential nutrients such as potassium, magnesium, and iron, which help to support metabolic processes that give us energy throughout the day.
Is it safe to eat green papaya raw or cooked?
Yes, it is safe to eat green papaya raw or cooked. Unripe (green) papaya can be eaten raw or cooked, providing many health benefits. Raw green papaya contains an enzyme called papain, which helps digestion and has anti-inflammatory properties. When cooked, green papaya has a mild sweet taste and can be used in salads or soups. It is important to wash the green papaya thoroughly before eating it, as it may contain harmful bacteria.
A slice of papaya can provide a nutritious addition to any meal. On average, one slice (150g) of papaya contains around 50 calories. It also contains essential vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin C, potassium and magnesium. Eating papaya may help boost energy levels, aid digestion, and promote overall health. When enjoying papaya, washing the fruit thoroughly and cooking unripe (green) papayas before eating is important.
Mario Batali is a renowned author, food enthusiast, and passionate chef who has dedicated his life to exploring the world of culinary arts. With a love for sharing his knowledge and experiences, Mario has become a prominent figure in the food blogging community, inspiring countless readers with his creativity and expertise.
In addition to his culinary prowess, Mario Batali is also a talented writer with a flair for engaging storytelling. He launched his own food blog to share his recipes, cooking tips, and personal experiences in the kitchen. Over time, Mario’s blog gained a loyal following of food enthusiasts who appreciate his unique approach to cooking and his dedication to using only the finest ingredients.
Mario Batali’s passion for food and his commitment to sharing his knowledge with others have made him a true inspiration in the world of culinary arts. Through his blog, cookbooks, and public appearances, Mario continues to spread his love of food and the joy of cooking with his ever-growing fanbase.