Bacon is a versatile food that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Whether it is cooked on its own or used as a flavor enhancer, bacon is a delicious addition to any meal. It can be sliced with a knife into strips or on a meat slicer.
- 1 Different Ways/Methods To Slice Bacon
- 2 How Many Slices of Bacon in a Package?
- 3 Tips Related To Bacon
- 4 FAQs
- 5 Conclusion
Different Ways/Methods To Slice Bacon
How to Cut Bacon Strips into Lardon?
Lardon is a french term that refers to thin strips of bacon approximately cut ¼ inch thick. A lardon is a little stick of bacon or salted pork used in many recipes. To make lardons, you will need sliced bacon. Lardon is a quarter layer of fat, meat, and meat. This fat brings a lot of flavor to the dish.
Slicing bacon for lardons, take about six pieces thickly cut bacon and stack them on a cutting board. Cut them crosswise into ¼ inch to 1/3 inch little sticks. It can be also cut into cubes. Lardons are cooked slowly on medium heat to drain the fat. You can sprinkle lardons into dishes such as pasta, omelets, salads, and grilled vegetables.
How to Slice Bacon at Home?
Bacon can be fantastically sliced by just using a knife and a cutting board. It needs slicing carefully with little effort. Use the below method for slicing bacon.
- Step1: Place the bacon into the freezer for a couple of hours. It can be firm and slice easily but do not fully freeze it.
- Step2: Place bacon on the cutting board and take off the uneven edges with a sharp knife.
- Step3: Now, start slicing bacon into large strips. Cut bacon against the grains. Slice thinly into 2-3 mm; they will be slightly thicker than slices of meat slicer.
- Step4: Collect the sliced pieces in a bowl, wash the knife, and bowl under running water.
How to Cut Frozen Bacon?
Bacon is hard to slice when it is soft. If you find cutting bacon challenging, you can freeze it. Freeze bacon will be easy to slice; it will not slip and can be held firmly. Frozen bacon cooks evenly and quickly. If you do not have to cook bacon immediately, then defrost it before slicing.
For slicing frozen meat, place it on a cutting board. Make sure it can be sliced easily; otherwise, heat it at a low temperature. It can also easily defrost in a skillet or microwave oven. After defrosting the bacon, cut it into thin slices. Slice very carefully so that meat should not be cut unevenly.
How to Slice Bacon on a Slicer?
Bacon can be sliced evenly on a meat slicer. Bacon slicers are very expensive, and everyone can not afford them. So, there is no need to buy a separate bacon slicer. You can perfectly slice bacon in desired thickness on the electric meat slicer.
- Step1: Turn on the meat slicer and adjust the thickness knob. It can be adjusted from paper-thin to extra thick.
- Step2: Place the bacon on the food carriage tray and press the slicing button.
- Step3: Push the food tray slightly towards the blades. The meat slicer will start slicing bacon in super thin cuts.
- Step4: Make sure that the thickness size is according to the dish which you have to cook. Adjust it otherwise by rotating the adjustment knob anti-clockwise.
- Step5: When bacon is sliced, turn off the meat slicer. Remove the slices from the food tray and clean the slicer with a damp cloth.
How Many Slices of Bacon in a Package?
Pre-sliced bacon can be get from the market if you have no time or practice for slicing. Bacon is sliced very thickly, so the number of slices in the package is more. A package of bacon typically contains 10 to 32 slices of bacon. However, the exact number of pieces can vary depending on the brand and the thickness of the slices. You can purchase the whole package and store extra slices in the freezer for use later.
Tips Related To Bacon
- Do not freeze bacon for a long period; it can lose flavor and become less appealing.
- Freeze bacon in a zip lock bag, making it easy to cut meat and freeze extra meat again.
- Cook bacon slowly on low heat.
- Use a sharp knife; a dull knife will not slice bacon evenly.
- Do not slice cooked bacon on a meat slicer after slicing raw bacon.
How long does it take to thaw frozen bacon?
A pound of bacon takes 10 to 12 hours to defrost in the refrigerator. While in a microwave oven, it will take roughly around 8 to 10 minutes to thaw.
Can you freeze bacon before cutting it?
Yes, you can freeze bacon before cutting. It will be easy to slice bacon when it is frozen.
How long do you keep the bacon in the freezer?
Bacon can be frozen for more than one month.
What is the size of bacon slices?
A regular bacon is usually 0.62 inches thick. The thin-sliced bacon is 0.31 inches thick, while the thick-sliced bacon is .111 inches thick.
How much does a slice of bacon weigh?
The weight of sliced bacon is around usually from 5 grams to 157 grams.
Bacon should be slightly frozen for slicing. You can cut it with a knife or on a meat slicer. Store the bacon in the freezer without slicing.