Jerky is a dried, cured meat typically enjoyed as a savory, high-protein snack. It is made by marinating raw meat in spices and then drying it to prevent spoilage. Jerky is a slice of spicy and delicious meat that can be saved for a long time to eat.
It is sliced in small thin slices with a sharp knife or a jerky slicer. Slicing meat for jerky is different from cutting ordinary meat. You must have practice so to avoid perfectly destroying meat and slicing. With a little effort, you can make your jerky meat at home. You will no longer need to purchase pre-sliced and packed jerky from the market.
Types Of Jerky Meat
Jerky can be made with variations. You can make chewy jerky or tender jerky. There are many types of jerky meat, each with its unique flavor and texture. The most common types of jerky are made from beef, chicken, or turkey. However, there are also many different flavors of jerky, including spicy, sweet, savory, and mild.
Beef jerky is the most popular type of jerky, and it is also the most versatile. It can be flavored with almost anything and pairs well with sweet and savory foods. Pork jerky is also quite popular, and it has a slightly sweeter flavor than beef jerky. Chicken and turkey jerky are both lean and healthy options and have a milder flavor than the other types of jerky.
You can also find jerky from fish, venison, and even buffalo. These types of jerky tend to be relatively high in protein and often have a stronger flavor than the more common jerky.
Uses Of Jerky Meat
Jerky meat is a popular food item found in many different cultures. Jerky can be eaten as is or used as an ingredient in other dishes. It is also very versatile and can be flavored with various spices and herbs or even sweetened with fruit juices or honey.
Jerky can be stored for several months and does not require refrigeration. It is a great food to have on hand for camping trips or other outdoor activities. Jerky is also a popular gift item and can be made home with little time and effort.
How To Prepare Meat For Jerky?
- The first step is to choose the right meat. The best cuts of meat for jerky are lean and have little fat. The thinner the strips, the more evenly they dry and the better the flavor.
- Once your meat is prepared, the next step is to choose your seasonings. A simple combination of salt, pepper, and garlic powder is always a good start. Mix them and rub them into the meat strips.
- The next step is to let the meat strips marinate in the seasoning mixture for at least an hour or overnight. This will allow the flavors to penetrate the meat.
- Once the meat is seasoned correctly, it is time to dry it. The best way to dry jerky is in a dehydrator, but you can also do it in your oven at the lowest possible temperature. Place the meat strips on a wire rack or baking sheet and let them dry until they are tough and chewy. This can take from 4 to 12 hours, depending on the thickness of the strips. When the jerky is dry, it is ready to eat. You can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a month.
How To Cut Jerky Meat With Knife?
Meat can be sliced for making jerky at home. It would be best if you had a sharp knife with straight blades. A dull knife will provide thick slices, which will be difficult to marinate and cook.
Follow the below steps for slicing jerky meat:
- Step 1: Place the meat in the freezer for1-2 hours or until the meat is slightly frozen. Then remove from freezer.
- Step 2: Place the meat on the cutting board. Take a sharp knife and remove all excess fat. Fat can deteriorate jerky meat more quickly.
- Step 3: Start slicing meat into strips. You can see the muscle fibers of the meat. Cut against the grains. Make ¼-inch thick slices.
- Step 4: Cut the whole piece of meat in the same way.
How To Slice Jerky Meat With Slicer?
If you have a jerky meat slicer, it will reduce the slicing time in half. A jerky slicer can slice meat in accurate size. You can adjust the thickness also. Below the method of slicing is described:
- Step 1: Make sure that the handle of the jerky slicer can rotate freely and that the combs are correctly installed.
- Step 2: Remove all the bones, fat, and other hard items from the meat. Meat should not be thicker than 3.2 cm; otherwise, it will damage the slicer.
- Step 3: Place the meat under the blades. Rotate the handle of the slicer. The blades will slice the meat into strips.
- Step 4: Slice the whole meat from one end to the other. Check the size and thickness of the first slice. Adjust it if you want to change thickness.
- Step 5: After slicing, remove the blades and clean them with a damp cloth as soon as possible.
Tips For Slicing Jerky
- Always use a sharp knife.
- Trim the fat from meat before slicing meat for jerky.
- It will be best to chill meat before slicing.
- Always slice the meat against the grain. Cutting strips with the grains can result in tough jerky slices. It will take longer to chew and eat.
- Place the jerky meat in the freezer before slicing.
- Do not use serrated blades; they can shred raw meat.
Some Useful Information You Might Also Be Looking For
Should I cut jerky meat with or across the grin?
You should cut jerky meat across the grain. The meat will be more tender if you cut it in this way.
How thin should I slice meat to make jerky?
You should slice meat for jerky roughly ¼ inch thick.
What cut of meat is best for jerky?
Beef round is the best meat because it is tender.
Jerky can be made from which meat?
Any meat can be used for making jerky. Beef is most widely used for jerky, but dear and lamb meat is also perfect.
What is the best way to cook jerky?
Best way to cook jerky meat is to cook on low heat.
Jerky meat is very delicious and nutritious. You can slice jerky at home in a perfect way. Jerky can be cut with a knife or on a jerky meat slicer. Marinate sliced jerky with spices and then cook on low flame. It will use and store for a long time. You can bring it to parties and outdoor gatherings also.